Monday, January 21, 2013

Chapter 29

This is an experiment.
It might fail, miserably.
But it might not. :)
And as always it's a fluid concept.

In the last couple of years, church has become something I want to be rather than just something I should do. Given the gypsy nature of life as I know it, I've had to get creative and I think inspiration has struck, the idea being:
I'm sort of a Christian island in an ocean of people, for now.
But I know lots of amazing people all over.
So this will be my Christian community, my 29th chapter of Acts.

This is a blog with lots of author/administrator types, so that it's not just me posting (because how boring would that be). People can post their thoughts, others' thoughts, scripture, podcasts, links to other sites, pictures, whatever inspires them, anything that connects back to God -- so you know, everything and the kitchen sink. Ideally, sometimes anyway, these will each spawn interesting threads of conversation.
I know I'm not the only "island" out there so anyone else who feels that way for whatever reason is welcome in my "church home" any time (since I don't have an actual home to host people in right now!). This should be a home for all the wayward ragamuffins, fringes of society out there, not just me. Who knows, maybe this little "open source church" will do more good than just keeping me in line...
Because this is my primary community while I'm on the road, some of my posts will be more personal, not because it's about me but because I want SOMEbody to have my back in a praying sort of way, as well as kicking me in the seat of my pants when I need it. Anyone else is welcome to do the same.
Another aspect of this that isn't directly part of this bloggish thing: communion via skype. I'll/we'll keep you posted on how that plays out.

I love all of you who are coming with me. To quote a certain Caribbean pirate, bring me that horizon!

P.S. This site won't always be so plain -- for now content was more important to me but eventually I or someone else will make it pretty -- Anyone who feels inclined to "decorate", you are more than welcome to, this tech stuff is not my jam! And it might be cool if it changes every so often...

1 comment:

  1. "I know I'm not the only 'island' out there..."

    This statement was interesting to me, because there have been so many times when I have attended a church (or been a paid staff member/minister at a church) in which I still felt like an island. I think the hardest thing about those times was that I felt unsafe, like I couldn't be myself, or if people knew what I actually thought/felt then I would be less...well, less.

    Whether or not my fears were accurate at those times, one of the things that I have always liked about you is that I have always felt safe with you. Even the times when we've been complete jerks to each other, I still felt safe with you. That's a pretty cool thing, friend Kate. And I think that's pretty deeply connected to church.

    ReplyDelete